Inishowen Football League: this weekend’s reports and results

Here are the match reports and results from this weekend’s Inishowen Football League games.

Jackie Crossan Premier Division

Aileach FC 1

Clonmany Shamrocks 0

After 10 minutes good work down the right from Darren Bradley resulted in his cross being met by Jack Mc Clean but his close range effort was narrowly wide. On 20 minutes the home side took the lead when Dermot Doherty overlapped down the right and crossed for Gavin Doherty to side foot home passed Ciaran Friel from eight yards. Clonmany responded well and forced a succession of corners the last of which found the unmarked Paddy Doherty but his glancing header was just wide of Dylan Porters right hand post. On the stroke of half time, Clonmany should have equalised when Alex McFadden broke clear and raced through on goal. Porter advanced to narrow the angle, the number nine clipped his effort from 12 yards wide of the angle.

The second half began similarly to the first with defences on top and clear cut chances few and far between. On 65 minutes, Dermot Doherty again overlapped down the right and crossed for Jack McClean to turn the ball goalwards but  Friel did brilliantly to stop his close range effort low to his right. Friel was called into action again on 73 minutes when full back Reece Mc Gilloway got to the by line and pulled the ball back for Gavin Doherty who fired goalwards but the net minder was again equal to the attempt pushing it over the bar. The remainder of the game saw Aileach defending while Clonmany threw everything at them to try secure an equaliser but the home defence stood firm to secure a narrow victory.

Buncrana Hearts 4

Moville Celtic 0

Buncrana  dominated as expected and had an early chance after a Kieran McDaid cross found Shaunie Bradley whose powerful header crashed off the bar. They broke the deadlock on 7 minutes when McDaid cut in from the left and fired a low effort past Ryan Coyle from twenty yards when a McDaid corner fell to Sean McDermott he back heeled the ball for Christy McKinley to slot home from five yards. They made it three nil midway through the half after an Adam Curran cross was controlled by Eoin Murphy on the edge of the area before he drilled to the bottom corner. Bradley then fired over when he should have done better and McDaid then had two efforts both well saved by Coyle. Moville went close before the break after Norbert Indyka capitalised on sloppy defending and unleash a shot which clipped the top of the bar. The home side began the second half well with Jamie McDaids effort on the run saved by Coyle. They increased their lead on the hour after Calvin Gallagher won possession and scored with a superb thirty yards chip. Moville battled gamely and Michael McCarron had one effort saved by Taylor Clarke before seeing  a header come off the bar. Buncrana then had a Jamie McDaid effort cleared off the line before in the same attack an Aaron McDaid effort came off the bar to Callum Gillen whose follow up crashed off the post. In the 89th minute Gillen for the home side cut in from the left and saw his curling effort rebound off the post.In the final piece of action Movilles McCarron broke through and was unlucky to see his effort crash off the post also.

Glengad United 0

Carn FC 3

This local derby saw little by way of goalmouth action in the first half. The home side’s Caolan McColgan cut in from the left and unleashed an effort which Daniel McDaid tipped around the post at full stretch. The visitors took the lead on 31 minutes when a Jamie Doherty corner was parried by Michael McLaughlin and Will Quinn forced the loose ball home. Then home side were dealt a real blow then when Fergal Doherty was red carded after an altercation. Carn increased their lead in the 55th minute when Cade Cooke fired a free kick from the left over McLaughlin to the roof of the net. Then a long range Michael McDermott effort was well saved by McLaughlin. Glengad responded with Oran Doherty feeding McColgan whose first time shot went narrowly wide. Doherty then advanced from midfield and laid the ball off for Cian Doherty whose shot was well saved by McDaid. The visitors sealed the points in the 86th minute when Cooke cross deflected off a defender to the net.


Cockhill Celtic 4

Greencastle FC 1

Cockhill threatened from the off and had the first chance on 3mins when, from a Keegan Hegarty cross from the right  Garbhan Friel’s header came back off the bar. Cockhill had further chances when Lee McColgan’s cross was headed over by Luke Rudden before Adam McLaughlin’s corner was headed over by McColgan.

Greencastle had their first foray forward midway through the half when a James Henry shot whistled past the post.Cockhill had a great chance on the half hour but James Bradley dragged a shot wide after nice interplay with Corey McBride. They eventually took the lead on 36 minutes when another Hegarty cross from the right was met by a bullet header from Luke Rudden from eight yards out. They doubled their lead minutes later when, after being wrestled to the ground in the box, Lee McColgan made no mistake with the resultant penalty. Cockhill started the second half in a similar vein but a mix of over playing and poor decision making many they didn’t extend their lead and they were made to pay on 63minutes when Greencastle halved the deficit as Gavin Harkin slotted low to the net, following up after Harry Doherty had saved Brennan Moore’s initial shot. Greencastle were buoyed by this and had their best period of the game possession wise but failed to create any clear cut chances and as time ran out it was the home side who sealed victory. Jay Bradley made it three one  when he controlled a McBride pass before firing home from an acute angle before Friel made it four one on the stroke of full time when he steered home a fine Conor Graham pass to seal the points.


Strand Hotel First Division

Cockhill Youths 2

Rashenny FC 2

Cockhill were first to go close when Ronan McLaughlin fired wide from 25 yards. They took the lead on 11 minutes after Liam Bradley scored with a fine shot from the edge of the box. Bradley almost had his second on the half hour mark but hit the post from a cross from the right. The home side doubled their lead on 47mins with a Darragh McDermott header and had further chances before the visitors rallied.

Firstly Cormac Dillon made it two one from the penalty spot before David McLaughlin completed an unlikely comeback with a fine volley.


Carn Res 1


In perfect playing conditions at St Patrick’s Park it was QPS who created the first chance of the game. A free kick from Ross Nicholas crashed off the Carn crossbar after a deflection. Carn settled into the game and enjoyed most of the possession in the first half without really troubling O’Neill in the QPS goal. QPS winger Seamus McFadden was causing Carn issues in the first half and fired a half chance wide from long range. Before the end of the half Carn did call O’Neill into action in the QPS goal. A winding run from Carn’s Cormaic McLaughlin ended in him stinging the palms of O’Neill. With the wind behind their backs in the second half Carn came out much stronger. They took the lead on 51 minutes when a good trough ball found the feet of Dayton Cooke who finished low into the near post. It should’ve been two minutes later when Conor McLaughins effort was well saved by O’Neill. Some neat play from the Carn forwards ended in McLaughlin again forcing a good save from O’Neill. On 67 minutes Anthony Doherty saw his long range effort fly just wide of the QPS goal. QPS very nearly got back into the game on two occasions. Firstly McFadden dragged a shot wide before John McCloskey came close. With just 6 minutes to go QPS got their goal. A in swinging free kick found the foot of substitute Sean Og Gallagher who steered the ball into the next to make it 1-1. Carn pressed for a winner and despite efforts from Tiernan Doherty and Cooke they had to settle for a point.


Aileach Res 2

Buncrana Res 3

Buncrana started well with Liam Jordan denied by a brilliant point blank save from David McGeady before McGeady then tipped over a Michael Doherty free. Against the run of play the home side opened the scoring with Kevin Boyle feeding Stephen Doherty who returned the ball into his path to slot past Oran McBride. Boyle then broke of the left and crossed for Anthony Doherty to slot home and put the home side two ahead on the half hour. The visitors got a goalback after a quick free fell to Jordan to shoot high to the roof of the net. Before the break McGeady done well to tip a Michael McLaughlin effort over the bar. Buncrana got back on terms on the hour when Eoin McNamee collected a cross and fired high past McGeady from twelve yards. The home side then saw a Dillon McGrory free tipped over by McBride before a Keith McColgan cross eluded three inrushing forwards.  A corner in the final minute for the visitors was only half cleared and looped into the air for Mclaughlin to head over McGeady and complete the come back. In injury time McBride tipped a Paul McGrory free around the post to ensure the visitors took the points.


Clonmany Res 1

Greencastle Youth 3

This match was played on Saturday evening and sprung to life in the 4th minute when Clonmany’s Pearse McCarron took a free-kick he had been awarded 10 yards from the Greencastle penalty box and Dean Mason in the Greencastle goal could not hold on to the shot but before he could recover Clonmany’s Conor Doherty (Riley) had nipped in and squared the loose ball to Mark Doherty and he tapped home from six yards out. Clonmany’s lead was short-lived and from the restart the ball was fed to Evan Davenport who sprinted clear of the Clonmany defence from the right wing and unleashed a low shot which arrowed  inside the near post giving Conor McGonigle no chance. Greencastle almost took the lead in the 19th minute after Shay Doherty broke down the left wing before nutmegging a Clonmany defender and cutting into the box but his shot rebounded back off the near post before it was cleared to safety. In the 25th minute Greencastle’s Dan Rowan got behind the Clonmany defence before shooting from 16 yards out but Conor McGonigle got down low to turn the shot behind for a corner. The pressure was building on the Clonmany goals and when a free-kick was awarded out on the left wing in the 30th minute Greencastle’s Stephen Burke came up from the back and when the ball was played in it fell at his feet 10yards from the goals but Gavin McDaid was quick to react and he blocked the Greencastle man’s goal bound shot. Clonmany’s defence was breached for a second time in the 32nd minute when Clonmany goalie Conor McGonigle was not able to hold Evan Davenport’s cross from the right and Greencastle midfielder Jamie Coyle followed in to stroke home the loose ball from twelve yards. Greencastle Youth added a third goal in the 49th minute when they were awarded a free-kick tight to the right side of the Clonmany box. The ball was played into the six yard box but Conor McGonigle was not able to hold onto the ball and when the ball came out to the edge of the penalty area Dan Rowan dispatched the ball through a ruck of players to the back of the net. Clonmany made a couple of substitutions in the 54th minute when Tiernan McDonald and Jack Doherty came on and they started to turn the game back in the home side’s favour but Greencastle almost added a fourth goal in the 64th minute when Evan Davenport headed just over from a set-piece from the left wing. Clonmany brought on Michael Devlin and Darragh Porter in the 72nd minute and Michael Devlin and Tiernan McDonald combined in the 77th minute to set Devlin free but his shot from just inside the box was turned away by Dean Mason. In the 79th minute Clonmany’s Tiernan McDonald’s pull back from the byline set up Pearse McCarron but his shot from 12yards was blasted over the crossbar without testing the Greencastle goalie. Clonmany centre-half DJ McGeoghegan was next to test the Greencastle defence when he strode onto a long clearance from a corner just inside the Greencastle half and his low driven shot was deflected off target by a Greencastle defender to concede another corner. Clonmany were awarded a penalty kick in the 89th minute when Pearse McCarron was tripped as he weaved into the box on one of his mazy runs. Pearse dusted himself off to take the kick which he shot low to the goal keepers left and Dean Mason guessed correctly to dive onto the ball at the foot of his post and snuff out any last chance of a Clonmany recovery.

Culdaff  FC 2

Redcastle United  3

This was a crucial encounter for the home side but they got off to a poor start when Shaun Curran’s long range free eluded Puaric O Donnell in the home goal. It got worse minutes later after the unmarked Josh McConallogue headed home from eight yards. Culdaff responded on the half hour with a Matthew McGoldrick effort saved by Michael McCole. Redcastle had the final chance of the half after Alan Clarke evaded two defenders inside the area but fired narrowly wide from a tight angle. The visitors started the second half the better and increased their advantage when Clarke outpaced the home defence onto McConellogue’s through ball to neatly slot past O Donnell.  The homeside tried to respond and a Keelan Doherty cross from the left was side footed over the bar by Thomas O’Brien. O Brien then had a free kick blocked by the wall  before Noel McLaughlin turned well inside the area and unleashed  a shot which was parried by McCole. They got a goal back on 75 minutes when a superb Euan McFeely cross came off a defender and past McCole. They had another good chance following good work from McLaughlin whose cross was blazed over at the back post by McFeely. Redcastle responded and Lee Barr fired a free kick from distance over the bar.


Inishowen Engineering Division Two 

Rashenny RES 3

QPS Youth 5

The visitors started this game well with Simon Wallace converting a penalty after he had been fouled. Mark Wallace then made it two nil when he advanced into the area on the right and drilled low past Fergal Diver. But the home side rallied with Aaron Cregan crossing for Kaylum Long to slot home and then they got back on terms after Cregan scored with a good low effort. The Point upped the tempo then with Sean McIvor rattling the crossbar and Joe Johnstone denied by Diver in the home goal. On the stroke of half time Alex Holovin regained the lead for the visitors with a god finish from inside the area. After the break they added a fourth goal when Mark Wallace crossed for Johnstone to slot home from close range. Wallace was causing the home defence a lot of trouble and another superb cross was converted by Simon Wallace to make it five two. Rashenny battled and got a consolation with Long crossing for Callum Crumlish to apply the finishing touch.


Carrowmena FC 2

Redcastle Res 2

There was a low key opening to his game with defences well on top and chances at a premium. But the home side opened the scoring in the 23rd minute after Gerard Gill collected a clearance from the corner to cross for Brian Houten to slot home from eight yards. The visitors had a chance before the break when Daniel Harkin raced onto a long ball over the top and with keeper Noone stranded he fired wide. Redcastle started the second half well and were denied when a Harkin effort was superbly tipped round the post by Noone. They got back on terms on the hour mark when Shay Sweeney sidestepped a defender and drilled the ball across for Oisin Davenport to poke the ball home from close range. The visitors were on top and took the lead on 83 minutes with Gary Kelly firing a free kick over the wall and in off the post. But in injury time the home side salvaged a point after  a Ronan Doherty free into a crowded area found Adam Harkin to head home from ten yards.


Moville Res  3

Cockhill Res 6

In an entertaining game the Cahir McDaid fired the visitors ahead in the 13th minute when he advanced on the right into the area and drilled low past Sean McGuinness.Moville levelled minutes  later after an inswinging corner was headed home by Mateus Indyka. But Christy Doyle converted a rebound after his initial effort was parried by McGuiness to restore Cockhills lead.  Moville again got back on terms on the half hour when Evan Hudner despatched a superb free to the top corner from the edge of the area. However two quick goals before the break put the visitors in control. Firstly James Porter curled a superb effort to the top corner before Ethan O Toole pounced on a poor clearance to drill home. Moville started the second half the better with Marcus Rule denied by keeper McColgan before Martin McGonigle fired just wide. An unfortunate own goal saw Cockhill go five two ahead before Cameron Robertson squeezed the ball home from a tight angle for the sixth. Moville got a late consolation when Hudner converted another free kick.


Aileach Youths 2

Culdaff Res 7

Culdaff Reserves proved too strong for a youthful, understrength Aileach side at Lakeside on Saturday night. In a fairly even opening period, chances were at a premium.  With 20 minutes on the clock, Culdaff took the lead when Niall Gordon released Oisin McLaughlin who slipped the ball past Dylan Clarke from the edge of the box.  Culdaff doubled their lead minutes later in fortuitous fashion when a Noel McLaughlin corner went directly into the net. Aileach pushed forward more at this stage and Charlie Campbell, Kevin Boyle & Aaron Doherty all had shots that were saved by Oran Douglas. Aileach reduced the arrears ten minutes before the break when Andrew Walker got to the line and crossed for Charlie Campbell who forced the ball home from six yards. But Culdaff regained their two goal advantage just before the break when Billy Hume controlled a clearance at the edge of the box and chipped the ball into the net. Aileach came out fighting at the start of the second half and cut the advantage to the minimum when Aaron Doherty fired home from 12 yards. Aileach immediately shot themselves in the foot when a defensive error released Billy Hume to race clear and score his second of the game past Clarke from 15 yards. The game then became a little disjoined at this stage with both sides making a raft of substitutions.  Culdaff dominated the final 15 minutes and added three further goals firstly from substitutes, Niall McLaughlin and Sean McGrenaghan and finally a 25 yard shot to the top corner from Tiernan McGeoghan.


Rashenny Rovers 0

Illies Res 2

The home side  had the first opportunity with Ahapli Illia seeing an effort well gathered by Conor Doherty. But Illies responded and Rory Green was denied by a last ditch Morgan Guihen tackle before Kevin McGonigle saw an effort from twenty two yards well saved by Roger McGilloway. The visitors opened the scoring on 25 minutes after Deaglan Bowen unleashed a twenty five yards effort to the bottom corner. Rovers tried to respond and Tyler McEleney had a shot saved by Doherty. Illies resumed control with Oran Doherty denied by McGilloway before the same player ballooned the ball over the bar when well placed. Doherty made amends on the stroke of half time when he doubled Illies lead with a superb glancing header from a Conor Doherty left wing cross. Illies had the majority of the pressure in the second half with an Oran Doherty effort deflected onto the post and falling to Green whose effort was saved. McGilloway then gathered Oran Dohertys effort at the second attempt before  Bowen fired over and McGilloway smothered at Dohertys feet. At the other end McEleney saw one shot saved before firing another over the bar. The final chance came to Illies when a corner was palmed onto the post by McGilloway before being cleared.


Dunree Res 0

Gleneely Colts 6

The visitors dominated this game from start to finish but only held a one goal advantage at the break. A scramble in the home area resulted in Ryan Tabbitt converting from close range. But the second half saw Gleneely in command with Shane Diver converting a penalty for handball. A good cross then on the hour from Diver found Tabitt to make it three nil. The unmarked Diver added a fourth converting at the back post before he completed his hat trick with a close range finish after the home defence failed to clear. Matthew Doherty completed the scoring late on converting a left wing cross at the back post.

Inishowen Football League: this weekend’s reports and results was last modified: October 1st, 2023 by Staff Writer